Well here we are, Day 6 of our 12 Days of Christmas Cookies Countdown. Today’s delicious, colorful, and lightly almond flavored cookies are topped with chocolate, and look like a decadent dessert that only a master pastry chef might attempt to make.
But thanks to tasteofhome, these rainbow, jam layered beauties will have your family and friends questioning which bakery you purchased them from!
I found that 11 x 7 lasagna pans made it easier when removing to cool on your wire racks; and don’t feel like you have to use only raspberry jam, feel free to add what ever flavored jam you or your family prefer.
Italian Rainbow Cookies
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3-1/2 ounces almond paste, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 to 8 drops red food coloring
- 6 to 8 drops green food coloring
- 1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar 2-3 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually add almond paste; mix well. Gradually add flour, butter, salt and extract.
- 2. Divide batter into thirds. Tint one portion red and one portion green; leave remaining portion plain. Spread one portion into each of three well-greased 11×7-in. baking dishes.
- 3. Bake 7-11 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and edges begins to brown. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. Place red layer on waxed paper; spread with 2 tablespoons jam. Top with plain layer and remaining jam. Add green layer; press down gently.
- 5. For glaze, in a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Spread half over green layer. Refrigerate 20 minutes or until set. Turn over; spread remaining glaze over red layer. Refrigerate 20 minutes or until set.
- 6. With a sharp knife, trim edges. Cut rectangle lengthwise into fourths. Cut each portion into 1/4-in. slices. Yield: about 11 dozen.
1 cookie: 35 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 21mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC
Don’t miss out ~ be sure to subscribe with your email address to receive your 12 Days Of Christmas Cookie Recipes directly into your inbox!