Planning a family reunion is a great way to celebrate, share, and preserve your family heritage while reconnecting with family members through old photographs and story-telling, as well as passing down family traditions from one generation to the next.
Summertime in July has always been the perfect time when my family members and extended family gather together for for a day of fun and laughter, games, music, and the much anticipated star(s) of the day which of course is the food!
Growing up in a large Italian family meant there was always great food made with lots of love; so it should come as no surprise when I say that the menu for our reunions have always included bringing a dish to pass, mama’s mostaccioli, my cousin Tom’s homemade salsiccia (Italian sausage), and delicious desserts and cookies too numerous to mention.
If you’re thinking that planning a family reunion of your own sounds like fun, but way too much work, you’ll be surprised just how easy it can be when you follow these 5 Simple Organizational Tips from Joan Curtis Waters, a “self-proclaimed family-aholic.”
1. Plan Early (preferably one year in advance, depending on your family’s size)
2. Don’t Do It Alone (don’t overextend yourself, “volunteer” others to help out, “just ask” for help, and form a committee)
3. Plan Something For Everyone (include activities for toddlers, teens, and grandma and grandpa too)
4. Make It Affordable (so everyone can attend; have fundraisers to defray costs ~ we charge each family $10.00 as they enter the park)
5. Have Fun! (your excitement and enthusiasm will be contagious)
I am proud to say that my family has been coming together in celebration for over 50 years, and each year I still learn something new, or come across a new (old) photograph that I had never seen before. As the day begins to wind down, and the Italian flag is folded and neatly packed away, we always find ourselves excitedly discussing plans for “next” year’s reunion.
For more information on planning your next family reunion check out the links below to help point you in the right direction.
Please be sure to subscribe with your email address to receive each new daily/weekly post directly into your inbox!