Christmas Day may be over but the celebrations just keep on coming. Today we are celebrating National Candy Cane Day; those pepperminty, swirly red and white sweet candy’s that have been around since the late 1800’s, and were first made by hand.
Since candy canes are such a traditional part of the holiday season we thought we would share some fun candy cane facts courtesy of sweetservices that you can share with family and friends.
Did You Know That…
- The average candy can is 5 inches tall.
- While most candy canes are not sugar or calorie free, they do not have any fat or cholesterol.
- Striped red and white candy canes were first introduced in 1900.
- The first machine to make candy canes was invented in 1921 by Brasher O. Westerfield. Until then, they were made by hand.
- Traditionally the flavor for candy canes is peppermint, but there are a variety of flavors.
- Alain Roby, Geneva pastry chef, holds the Guinness World Record for the longest candy cane, measuring 51 feet long.
And for those of you that just can’t get enough of the minty flavor of candy canes, here are some recipes and ideas that you may find perfect for this time of year.
Please be sure to subscribe with your email address to receive each new daily/weekly posts directly into your inbox… And don’t forget to Like our Facebook page, and click Share because ~ ‘There’s always a reason to celebrate with ‘iHolidays!’